In order to sell or transfer US or Canadian Securities, you are required to sign a Stock Transfer Form (or its equivalent) and the signature must be “guaranteed” before a transfer agent will accept the transaction. Signature Guarantee programmes are operated by members of the Securities Transfer Agents Medallion Programme (known as STAMP).
The Medallion Signature Guarantee is compulsory when transferring or selling US and Canadian Securities and transactions will not be approved without it. When the STAMP member issues their signature guarantee to a Transfer Form, they assume liability that:
What does the Medallion Signature Guarantee stamp do?
- The signatory is authorised to sign the Form (be that the registered owner or the Executor to a Grant of Probate).
- The signatory has capacity.
- The signature is genuine.
The following documents are required to obtain the Medallion Guarantee:
- The original signed Form(s) which require the Medallion Guarantee stamp.
- Certified Copies of the Registered Owner’s passport and a recent utility bill or bank statement (dated within the last three months) for address verification purposes.
- Certified Copy of the Share Certificate or other documents such as a Dividend or DRS statement, which evidence ownership of the shares.
If the Transfer requirement arises because of probate, you will need:
- Certified copy of the Grant of Probate.
- The original signed Form(s) which require the Medallion Guarantee Stamp.
- Certified Copies of the Executor(s) passport(s), and a recent (dated within the last three months) utility bill or bank statement for address verification purposes
Finders can undertake Medallion Guarantees at £295 inc VAT.
Please click below to download a copy of the Instruction Document which we require in order to provide Medallion Guarantees. You will note that we can only accept instructions from Solicitors, Stockbrokers or Accountants, who are also able to provide the required certifications of the documents listed above.
[TO PREPARE FORMS FOR MEDALLION GUARANTEE AND MG INVOLVING PROBATE]